21 April 2011

How do You spend Good Friday?

Do you have Good Friday traditions or habits?

Like many people, Good Friday for me means watching The Passion of the Christ.  Late in the evening, alone, after the kids are in bed.

I still can't get through the scourging at the pillar without literally hiding my head in my arms, eyes clenched shut through tears.  I weep openly when Pilate's wife hands Mary that stack of clean white towels, and Our Lady gets down on her hands and knees to wipe His blood from the ground.

I crumble when she stands at His feet and says, "Let me die with you."  Then she kisses His bloody feet with such tenderness and love.  I just come undone.

I will watch this film every Good Friday til I die, I suspect.  I need to see it.

Beyond that, I try to keep the day quiet and somewhat somber.  As much as can be achieved with three young children.  But I'm trying to let them know that it's a solemn day.  A day to look inward and think about Jesus.

What about you?

1 comment:

KellyO said...

Hi!
I've just had a long conversation with my 13 year old son who just asked if he could go to the mall on Friday with his friends. My first thought was that I have neglected this kid :( My second thought was to guilt him in to outrage at suggesting such a unholy thing to do on Good Friday. My third thought was to tell him to ask his friends to come to Good Friday church with us and then we can talk about what to do afterwards. The most upsetting part was these are all kids from his Catholic school - am I the only parent that feels as though Good Friday should have a great deal of solemnity to it? I was relieved to read your post and I realize that my older kids might just need a little more verbal guidance in Faith matters. I hope to get this parenting "thing" down by the time my youngest hits his teenage years :)
By the way, I, too, watch the Passion of The Christ and the part that gets me is when Jesus falls with the cross and Mary reflects back to when Jesus was a little boy and falls...heart-wrenching and humbling!

God bless!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin