13 July 2010

Gratitude Attitude

Calling all Moms and Dads!

What tricks, techniques, methods, or magic do you use to teach your children gratitude?  What's worked for you?  How do communicate the concept of gratitude?  How do you foster an attitude of gratitude in your family?  What have you done that's stopped the "I-wants" and the "Gimme's" and the "I-don't-cares" from taking over and turning your kids into spoiled brats?

I am so determined that my children will have thankful hearts and attitudes, and they are loving, sweet kids, but sometimes I'm not sure the message is getting through, at least not as clearly as I'd like!




Besides all the obvious, like limiting television, computer and video games... have you discovered a real gem of a way to help your kids "get it" when it comes to gratitude?

Please share!    Thank you kindly!

3 comments:

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

I have told my children time and again the the biggest key to happiness is gratitude. I am not sure they have caught on yet, so I await others' responses!! :)

Anonymous said...

At the table for each meal after our prayer we each name something or someone we are thankful for and why. My 2 year old son usually says, "I thankful for God in my heart." Teaching children gratitude starts with love. If you're living love, your children will see it and they will be thankful. If it doesn't seem like it, look closely, they might be showing their gratitude in unexpected ways. God Bless. 1 Corinthians 13

MelissaV said...

Hi Jennifer. I, too, am not sure that the message of the importance of gratitude is getting through to my kids. One thing I have done, to "help" them be grateful for the meals that they are given and not waste food, is to show them pictures of starving children, when they tell me that they don't like or don't want to eat what they have been given. Other mothers have told me that such an approach is mean, but I don't think so. It's a sad reality that children are starving in this world and I think that our children should be aware of it. Our local parish hosted a Mary's Meals fundraiser this year, through the Catechism program. Mary's Meals is an organisation that provides a meal to children at school in many countries across the world. They aim to encourage children to go to school by giving them a meal there. I took my daughter, who is almost 8, to the poverty meal. It was mostly rice, with a small amount of lentil soup with some vegetable. A very plain meal. I remind my daughter of the poverty meal, which is the best meal that those children get each day, when she decides that she doesn't want to eat what she's been given. I have found these things to be helpful. So my answer, when other mothers ask me, "What do your children eat?" is, "Whatever they are given!" Now, how to encourage them to stop asking for every toy they see at the shops? Well, I don't have the answer for that one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin