20 October 2009

Stitches and Seams

I did it! I sewed on a machine for the first time today!




We began sewing our strips of fabric together for the quilt, and lo and behold, I'm already a pro! I'm a complete natural. I took to this like a duck to water. My instructor just stood there shaking her head in amazement.





(There will be a brief pause while I go to confession for lying.)




Oh, my instructor stood there shaking her head, alright, but not in awe of my raw talent! Ha!

Actually, she is a kind and patient woman, and she kept encouraging me to keep trying, even though I had to run through all my strips a second time because my 1/4" seam was not 1/4".



Alas, I am not a natural. I'm going to fumble my way through this, but I'm still having fun and I am determined to learn. All in all, for my first hour on a sewing machine in my entire life, not too bad.


After all, I didn't sew the needle through my finger.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

How exciting! I just brought in my Aunt's old Kenmore in for a tune up today. I am going to take sewing lessons next week,

I hope to sew pillow coverings and little cutsie doll blankets etc. for right now.

I want to learn how to crochet too.

Good Luck!!

My Chocolate Heart said...

Kathy,
You're a big step ahead of me already - I don't have a machine of my own. Looking around, hopefully I can put one on layaway next month.

Have fun learning and sewing!

Elizabeth said...

LOL...I have been machine sewing for about thirty five years...and I HAVE sewn the needle through my finger!!!
When Tilly was about a year old, my MIL asked me to make a fleece sweater for her dog...Tilly kept trying to climb over the electric cord while I was working and she distracted me ...the machine just STOPPED and when I looked to see WHY...I noticed that my finger was jammed under the presser foot with the needle all the way through!!! Believe it or not, it didn't even hurt...Thank goodness it was a sharp needle!
Keep practicing...it will pay off in the end! And HAVE FUN!

Aussie Therese said...

persistence certainly paid off for me. I was so bad at sewing a straight line that my home ec teacher in year 9 told me to never try and sew my own clothes.

I would love to meet her now and show her how much of our children's wardrobe I have sewn.

Dirtdartwife said...

Just keep practicing!!! I am so thrilled you're able to do this!

Michelle said...

It won't take long until you're a pro. Keep at it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin