08 October 2009

Quilts

On a lighter, personal note, I am just giddy with excitement that next week I begin taking a beginner's quilting class!


I've never used a sewing machine in my life, and I can barely thread a needle (no joke), but I am just overcome with the desire to learn how to make a quilt. So I found a terrific shop near my home and I signed up!


I can't wait to get started! For the time being, I'll have to use the machines at the quilting shop, but pretty soon I'll need to get a machine of my own. I'm in the market for a good used one, I think. I'm open to suggestions from those of you who know about these things!


By the time the class is finished, I'll have made a 60" x 60" quilt using three fabrics all
by myself! Woohoo!!


Should be a very fun learning experience and a chance to get out of the house and mingle with some other ladies and hopefully acquire a new useful skill. (I say "hopefully" because I'm praying I'm not too talent-challenged to learn how to sew!)

I need more of this kind of activity in my life... I'm very grateful to be able to do this right now. Thank you, Lord, for a simple pleasure that will gladden my heart.
'Tis a sweet blessing.


8 comments:

mbrandon8026 said...

I hope that you find joy in quilting.

My wife invited me to help her with quilting a year or so ago, as we are both 60ish and somewhat disabled.

I really enjoy working on something with her, and have fun visiting quilt stores and seeing all the wonderful things people have created and can create. I am nearing completion of my first quilt, pretty much by myself too. It is right here by my computer waiting for me to pick it up and get back at it.

My wife is a member of 2 quilt guilds. I enjoy her stories of the new things she learns there, and the good people that she meets.

It is a very peaceful past time, and we have found ways to make it charitable as the guilds make quilts for sick children, or place mats for Meals on Wheels for shut ins, and things like that.

Enjoy.

Brian said...

Hi Jennifer!

We have a vibrant shawl ministry at our parish.

Check it out >

http://www.stachurchbloomfield.com/ministries/shawl/

Best of luck with your new endeavor!

God bless!

Dirtdartwife said...

The best part of learning a new skill, especially one that produces something, is that you can share it with others. Making small gifts for birthdays and Christmas will become such a joy and it honestly feels so good to give something you dedicate time and love in creating.

I can't wait to see your creation when you are finished!

GrandmaK said...

Have a wonderful time~~~~~~ (stitching) Cathy

Sarah - Kala said...

Fantastic. I wish you the best - but mostly, to enjoy the process!! Have fun!!

regan said...

yay. for. you. i wish i had the time to take classes!! enjoy learning this beautiful art. and really, i am sure it is not that hard!

ps. i love all of your praises today! they made my spine tingle!

pss. totally off topic, but i am going to be starting your little lamb so please email me your address so that i can send him to you when i am finished. and two questions...did you want her to be fleecy or out of vintage tablecloth cotton. secondly what color do you want the ecce tag to be. and third, do you want the little bleeding side? let me know asap!
hugs.

regan said...

sorry, i guess that was three questions!!

Sarah said...

I am so excited for you! I hope you will keep us posted on your quilting creations! God bless you!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin