21 September 2009

Lift Your Heart Gently

For today:

Why are you surprised when the weak turn out to be weak, and the frail, frail? When you turn out to be sinful?

When you fall be gentle with your frail, weak heart.

Lift yourself up gently, accept your failure without wallowing in your weakness. Admit your guilt in God's sight. Then with good heart, with courage and confidence in His mercy, start over again.

It is tempting to condemn yourself with harsh words and even harsher feelings. But it does no good to lash out at yourself.


Seek instead to rebuild your soul calmly, reasonably, and compassionately.

Speak to your heart in understanding words:
"Rise up my heart still another time. Put your trust in God's mercy, so that you will stand stronger in the future. Do not be discouraged, God will help and guide you."


Pray with the Psalmist:
"Why are you sad my soul, and why do you disquiet me? Hope in God: for I will still give praise to Him; the salvation of my countenance, and my God."



St. Francis de Sales


2 comments:

Anne said...

He is so awesome. I finally read "Introduction to the Devout Life". Wonderful book! Thanks for this quote.

Karen E. said...

Beautiful! I love St. Francis de Sales.

Thanks for your lovely comments at my blog, too.

Blessings, from one chocoholic to another. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin