31 August 2009

My Own Flock

There’s a certain letter I’ve been reading over and over lately, and the funny thing is, even though this letter wasn’t meant for me, the message has hit me between the eyes. (No, I’m not sneaking into mailboxes reading other people’s mail!) It reads:


“Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers – not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” 1 Peter 5:2-4


Peter wrote these words to the elders of the church in relation to their pastoral duties in their communities, not to a mother and homemaker. Yet the more I read it, the more it fits. I’ve worn a lot of different hats in my life, but I’ve never seen myself with a shepherd’s staff before.


Right now my husband and I have a flock of three, ages 8, 6, and 2. Like most parents, I tend to forget that my children are not mine. They do not belong to me; they belong to God. They are His children, and for a time in their lives, they are in my care, but they share the same relationship with God that I have – Father and child. In that strange and wonderful way, my children and I are equals.



Please read on...




5 comments:

GrandmaK said...

This is truly a wonderful reflection. I know when I realized that my 5 children were not mine but creations to be nurtured, guided and loved in the name of the Lord, it was a tremendeous revelation. It certainly gives me pause to reflect on the wonders of our God and the joy these children have given me. God bless you and yours! Cathy

~ Judy ~ said...

What an awesome reflection!
And I am SO THRILLED to see your absolutely beautiful face...now I have that lovely image in my mind when I visit your blog!!!
Thanks Jennifer...I especially liked how you tied in care of others in society to our roles as Shepherds.
Great article!

Mary333 said...

When I read the passage from Peter the first thought that crossed my mind was my daughter. I went on and realized it struck you the same. This was a great post! Thank you! I agree with Judy on the picture!

Anne said...

Great story as always Jennifer!

John said...

Great reflection from a letter from St. Peter!

God Bless!:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin