18 May 2009

The Question...

Are you really Catholic?

“Today more than ever, our nation is in need of Catholics who know their faith deeply and express their faith, with integrity, by their daily living.” Archbishop Raymond Burke


After reading His Excellency’s outstanding address at the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast and studying the current state of affairs in our nation, I’m prompted to ask a personal question:


Are you really Catholic?


Are you Catholic because your parents were Catholic, because their parents were Catholic because their parents were Catholic? Is it your culture or your faith? Is it your present choice or your history? Is it your conviction or a “hat” you put on for weddings and funerals?


The evidence clearly shows that too many “Catholics” in America are Catholic for reasons other than conviction of faith. And that’s just not going to cut it any longer. Our culture and our country are flying at warp speed into a black hole of godlessness, and I am increasingly flabbergasted at the sheer number of Catholics who are helping to fuel the descent.


Shamefully, the fact is that Catholics are largely responsible for electing our current government. That means that the majority of Catholics in America either don’t truly know their faith and what it means, or they don’t care, or they lack the courage to make their choices in agreement with their faith.



It’s pathetic that so many who say they belong to Christ are so easily beguiled and deceived.

The sacrifice of the Cross must not mean very much to many of us because we’re willing to sell it real cheap in exchange for the good opinion of those who would silence Christ.


Precious Blood was spilled for our sins. Today our leaders and our culture want to wash away Its saving stain, and the majority of Catholics are quietly watching them mop… even handing them a bucket.


Continue reading...




Your thoughts and feedback are welcome!

4 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Excellent post. I have asked these questions often on my "journey" and have answered just as Peter. Where else would I go?! Thank you for this! Cathy

Anne said...

Wow! Thank you for your courage! For me, its easy to believe and follow my faith on my own, but hard to live it publicly. I am a coward. I recently summoned up the courage to put a pro-life bumper sticker on my family van, so its a start, but I've a long way to go! I will look to you for inspiration in truly living my Catholic faith. Thanks for this great piece!

Feel free to visit my blog for inspiration (its got nothing on yours!)

http://annebender.blogspot.com/

God Bless!

Jennifer said...

Anne,
Publicly defending LIFE is an awesome thing! Good for you! And believe me, I have a cowardly streak myself sometimes. It's only getting harder and harder to live for Christ in this world. But I just couldn't live at all without Him.
I'm glad you stopped by and said hello!
Bless you!
Jennifer

Dirtdartwife said...

I'm defiant... I have two stickers on the back of my truck for pro-life, my girls wear pro-life T's to school, and I'll talk anyone down. But that's my stubborn streak as well... God will give you the courage when you need it. And Jen... I've seen your courage and it is powerful! All of you don't underestimate what God has given you in ways of strength. You have it... you just have to tap into it once in awhile and you become more outwardly the more you do it. Be not afraid! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin