28 April 2009

Ms. Attitude

Part three of my "conversation" with Ms. S...

Feminine culture seems to have been taken over by this pervasive, insidious disease I can most politely call Her Royal Highnessitis.


The obvious symptom is attitude. Snotty and in-your-face. Replete with SASS.

(Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I have a pretty generous measure of sass myself. Anyone who knows me will attest to that! In fact, I tend to be suspicious of folks if they don't have at least a smidgen of smart-aleck in them somewhere!) But women today have taken sass to such obnoxious heights that it's simply offensive.


Girls today almost seem to claim their "Diva rights" as standard issue along with their cell phone and car keys. It's almost expected that they will have a "Diva 'tude" and carry on like a spoiled, wrongly-dethroned princess.




"Ms. S, I hate to break it to you, but the world does not revolve around you! You are not entitled to have your every wish come true, and you are not owed anything by anyone! You are not exempt from facing the consequences of your actions, and your choices affect people other than yourself Get over yourself!"

It's not limited to teenagers by any stretch. Grown women carry on like this all the time. It fits hand-in-glove with the modern feminist rhetoric that screams about having sovereignty over our bodies, having rights and choices, but never speaks of responsibility. Sacrifice. Selflessness. Humility. Generosity. Purity. LOVE.

Trying to raise daughters who will cherish and protect their feminine graces in this modern world is a demanding swim upstream against a powerful current. The women held up today as examples are simply not who I want my girls to emulate.

To be quite candid, I don't much care for the "modern woman" because the modern definition of a woman has lost its sacred honor and privilege. If the modern woman must be "independent" and tough, crass and sexually "liberated", ambitious or worse, dim-witted, then you can have it. I have no appetite for it. And I'm very weary of all this sassy, crassy, diva-ness.

My feminine heroes are of a very different philosophy:

She who shapes the hearts of her home, shapes the world.


"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." Proverbs 31:25-31


Graciously,


6 comments:

GrandmaK said...

I remember giving the "you're not entitled to...no one owes you anything" lecture to all my children. They all went through that phase. More people need that lecture...It seems to me that my parents gave me that very same lecture oh so many years ago. The problem is a lot of people missed out on that "lecture." They've been deprived of some very important "credit hours" toward their "humanities" degree. This was a wonderful post! Thank you! Cathy

Mrs.Pogle said...

Another great post ~ I am really enjoying your blog! :¬)
Mrs.P xx

Sarah (JOT) said...

I will have my chocolate, though. Yeah?

Great posts!!!

Dirtdartwife said...

Can I just come live by you? I struggle with the fight of making sure my girls are not "of" this world because they are being bombarded with EVERYTHING. But I love the part of Prov 31 "Charm is deceptive..." that is SO the truth!! (heck, look at how many were fooled by Obama and he's not even a woman! hahahahah)

thelittlehouseinthebigyard said...

i love this one jennifer! thanks for celebrating femininty for what it REALLY is!

Lisa said...

Yes, indeed! Great post! (Oh, hi, by the way... Popping in by way of Mrs. Pogle, by way of Bit O'Blarney, etc, etc)
But, on-topic: I'm seeing the same foolishness, and it's nauseating. It IS hard to raise feminine, well-mannered young ladies in this world. I think television and movies are one big obstacle to it, but it's pretty pervasive... Makes you want to move to a deserted island somewhere.
=sigh= But, all the ladies here are lovely.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin