27 March 2009

Free Indeed

I've been doing a lot of thinking this past week about things like God's will, our will, autonomy as our current culture defines it, and true freedom.

We have such an egocentric society these days. Everything is seen through this lens of self-interest and "rights." Words like "obedience" and "submission" have become laughable or even disgusting, and faith is more than ever dismissed as a crutch for the intellectually inferior.

But when you look around at all the chaos, don't you ever wonder, "Who's really free, here?" If these enlightened secular folks are so liberated, why are their lives so fractured? They are so free to choose, they end up choosing everything, and as a result end up with nothing. Having built no walls of safety or sanctity, they are unable to keep anything of value within...everything is fleeting and subject to the day's whims. When "anything goes," then nothing worthwhile remains.

More than 20 years ago I was introduced to a remarkable poem on this subject that encapsulates it better than I ever could, and I offer it to you today in the hope that it blesses you as much as it has blessed me for so many years now.

(It's based on Romans 7:15-25)

When I want to be free at all costs

I am already beginning to bind myself

When I pursue my own wishes

I throw myself in chains

I do what I don't want to do

I am at my own mercy

And when I finally consider myself free

Freedom becomes a burden

Because I must make decisions

Which I am unable to make

And my freedom turns into a new prison

I can only find freedom

In the ropes that bind me

To You

Ulrich Schaffer


God bless your day today, and may you cling tightly to those liberating ropes that keep us tied to Him who has set us FREE.

Jennifer

2 comments:

Sarah (JOT) said...

Very well said.

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

That's beautiful...thanks.

Love,
Sandy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin