18 March 2009

"Dear God, I need a new gene..."



Far be it from me to question or criticize God's choices in which natural talents and gifts to give me, but there's one thing I really wish I was good at, but I'm just not.

I would love to be organized. Really efficiently, neatly, a-place-for-everything-and-everything-in-its-place kind of organized.



I dream of closets perfectly put-together, with things hanging neatly and containers stacked just so, and me getting a feeling of calm and satisfaction when I open the door to gaze admirably at the pleasant order of things.



Playrooms that look like something out of Pottery Barn for Kids...



...wouldn't it be lovely?




It just doesn't come naturally to me. In fact, it doesn't seem to come at all! I try,
oh, how I try! It's not for lack of "want-to." Oh, I got the "want-to" in spades! What I don't got is the "know-how-to!" I have made so many attempts to tackle this messy beast in my life the number would make your head spin. Yet somehow, my efforts fall flat as a flimsy pancake.

I zoom in on magazine headlines that promise to get me organized, once and for all, with little or no money involved! I devour them, and think, "What a great idea! I can do that!" They assure me it's so easy... anyone can do it! Yes,
even me!! And I excitedly try to implement their clever strategy, and not long after, I look around and realize I have failed once again. The same clutter, the same stuff everywhere, the same messes, the same ol', same ol'.

Aaarrrgghhh! The frustration this causes me is
maddening!


It is also very discouraging. Despite my best, well-intentioned and sincere efforts, I never seem to accomplish organization. Maybe I just haven't yet found the right "How to get organized" book and once I do, my home and my life will "poof!" magically change. Uhhh...yeah, I doubt it. So what is the deal? I swear there is something at the genetic level that I'm missing. I know because other women have it, and they seem to run effortlessly like the Energizer Bunny, leaving tidiness, order, and efficiency in their wake. Yes, other women have this gene a hundred times over, and I am genetically defective.


(sigh) At least I make killer chocolate chip cookies.


Jennifer

6 comments:

Kate said...

I could have written this post. Seriously. Right down to the chocolate chip cookies. I'll let you know if I ever find a solution.

Sarah (JOT) said...

I used to have a touch of it. I am neat and clean, but a bit cluttered. This is why I love the military life: the moving forces me to purge. The downside is the mix-matched furniture. Ugh!

Dirtdartwife said...

purge purge purge purge purge....

after that, I have no idea. :) You'd think this very Army experienced person would know that but I have NO idea. You'd think after 30+ years of moving around that I'd be able to occupy any space and be neat and orderly. Nope.

Sarah said...

It's so hard to find the right system! What works for one woman doesn't work for another one. And when you add a family to the mix, I think it makes it even harder—more people, more stuff, etc. Hang in there! For me, it's helpful to try and do a little at a time. When I think of the whole house, it's overwhelming. But if I stick to one room or one drawer, I feel more accomplished ... But as always, that's easier said than done! =) A blessed Friday to you!

ConversationsWithACupcake said...

Oh, Jennifer. I've felt just the same so often. But, I'm starting to realize that as much as I ADMIRE some of those things, I simply don't CHERISH them as a priority.

I'd rather read to the kids on a whim, climb over a stack of laundry if it means a table full of creative crafting with my family. And, yes. Chocolate chip cookies.

Today as I was saying my morning prayers, I felt a very strong impression that, as a mom, it's my job to make my home a place of warmth and joy to entice my children away from the showiness of the world. As far as I can tell, a pottery barn magazine has never said, "Welcome Home" to a single school kid. I say, bring those dirt-smeared faces and fingers full of found treasures, such things will always find a home in our home.

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

Now, there IS something to be said fro killer chocolate chip cookies. And though I have the mysterious organizing gene, 30 years from now whose kids do you think will like their mommy better...the one who kept things organized? Uh...no.

I have two bits of advice: Get rid of as much stuff as you possibly can. And once you get it organized, you must keep it up. Every day. I've found that too much stuff and lack of follow through always put me back at square one.

Blessings,
Sandy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin