27 February 2009

Sorrowful, part two

(Decided not to wait a whole week....)

The Sorrowful Mysteries, part two


2nd Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging at the pillar

“Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged.” John 19:1

Let this mystery teach us purity, and to accept God’s will.



Flogging… they used a whip made of several strips of leather that were embedded at the ends with pieces of bone and lead. No Roman limitation was placed on the number of lashings inflicted, and often the victim didn’t survive the flogging. Jesus did.


“But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5


Every blow from that cruel whip was for my sake. Every vicious tear in His flesh, every drop of precious blood that flowed was for my healing. Every agonizing moment of pain he endured was to secure my peace. His punishment, my freedom.


My impurities are not beaten out of me; they were beaten out of Him.


God deals with me gently and patiently, always with love. I can’t even fathom the harsh treatment Jesus received in my stead. He must have screamed in pain, but He never protested. He never even tried to whisper a plea to the Father, “Stop! Please stop!”

He would do anything to rescue a lost child.

Me.

You.

©2009 Jennifer Hartline


3rd Mystery coming soon…I hope you’ll check back.
I’d love to hear your thoughts…

Peace to you,
Jennifer


1st Mystery

5 comments:

Sarah (JOT) said...

I love your reflections. Keep them coming.

My thoughts are: I'm in agony with my teen son. I can't think much beyond that right now. I'm not asking God to stop, just to help us all through this trying time.

Dirtdartwife said...

I *love* this reflection. I look forward to the next one.

regan said...

jennifer, did you write that reflection on Holy Eucharist or fast food? that just blew me away and i had it sent to me several times, i sent it to my mom and there i was reading sarah-JOT-i just LOVE her and there was a link to you........anyway, i just wanted to tell you-God bless you for that, how very, very beautiful.

and ps. i am having a hard time with giving up my chocolate for lent too.....that IS a tough one!

Jennie said...

beautifully put... I love that ou are doing this...

Aussie Therese said...

When we watched the passion of the Christ, the scourging was one of the hardest parts for me to watch. I really hated the joy the romans got out of whipping him and the way they seemed to enjoy it.

I have also found it hard to reflect on when we pray the sorrowful mysteries.

But that said, the mystery is also motivating to me. If I am struggling with temptation, I can simply say to myself God isn't calling me to be flogged and hung from a cross. He is just calling me to do xxx.

Thanks for these reflections. I am enjoying them.

Therese

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin